Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Spinster Doctor / A story Part 1

When I walked in the road which I might have walked hundreds of times in my native town ,I stood stamped in front of a old building, no it is a bungalow with its portico .Once the same bungalow which my memory had gone back to the scenic beauty of the bungalow with its compound wall cleanly white-washed and the compound gate painted in green , though which always passers by could see the bungalow.
The trees both flowering and ornamental, shrubs,meadow with grass of alien variety and the carpet of colorful flowers of various hues like yellow,white,green, brown and combination of various colors blended by nature, which we could see when we passed by the street.I remember once when my father and I went by that street, I pulled my father's hand to stop and leaving his hand I ran towards the gate of the bungalow. I looked through the gate , gazing at the flowers, trees, fruits,like mango,jack fruit,coconut and other trees.
When an old man came near the gate and asked me ' child, who are you?"
I just blinked my eyes standing silently.
One small hand came from behind the old man with a red rose flower and I collected through the gate.That was the hand of a small girl with fair complexion who came forward and smiled at me.I smiled at her .
The bungalow had a name board Dr.Miss.Susan., Gynecologist, and the name of the hospital she was working.
Now again I am standing before the same bungalow .
No proper compound gate , but what remains as gate is opened and could any one walk through.No one manning the gate when I visited there when young.
I entered into the compound and dismayed to see the condition of the garden, no flowering trees or plants, only trees which stood there without being cared about.
I saw a calling bell switch but a plaster pasted on it showing it was not in use..I tapped the door............ silence continued .........again tapped , seeing no response ,I looked through the window which was opened, though that I could watch someone living there.
Again I called ' Is there anyone in ? Auntieeee ...are you there?'
After five minutes I could hear a rustling sound of someone coming to the door and unlocking from inside. I could see as though someone from the shadow walking out into the light .
My God ,' this is Doctor Aunt.'
She came closer and looked at me , I said ' Doctor aunt , I am Devi'
She moved inside to give way for me to move inside the house.We moved inside the hall with wooden furniture, she sat on one chair and showing me to sit on another chair nearby.
'Dr.do you remember me?'
She smiled at me .
'How are you Auntee?'
She looked at me patiently for a few minutes and moved to a closet and came back with a photo in black and white ......... that was the group photo of the final year of the school where Rose and me studied .
She had shown me where I stood in the row and near me that Rose , my close friend of school days till school final.
I know Rose was picked up by her in front of her Hospital left by someone , whom she adopted as a child and brought her up.
My memory started running like a horse backwards.
My mouth opened to ask the question where she was now.
But kept quiet, had she been there house would have been different , kept clean and the garden also.
Aunt sitting before me as a frozen painting of yesteryears .
What would have happened to Rose, my friend.

1 comment:

ramanika said...

What would have happened to Rose??

really want to know the answer for that