Thursday, May 20, 2010

Spinster Doctor / A story- 2nd part

I sat silently before the Doctor for a few minutes. A male cook brought the tea for both of us in an old style cups, bringing the memory of English people, subsequently the Anglo-indians.Though Auntie, an Angloindian in dress and maintaining etiquette, knows thoroughly the Indian roots and its culture. She lays far too much emphasis on 'life' and ' values', and too little on more and materialistic pursuits.
I in my low voice asked her 'Rose?' and took her hands in my hands, I could feel the rhythmic blood flow in her arteries and slow increase in her body heat. The skin very tender, nerves see extremely strong in her hands, and wondering, how many lives might have come to the earth through this hands of Gynecologist, that too through the hands of benevolence and blessing.
God selects some hands among billions of hands in the world to do some noble jobs, although many who are blessed so never realised the Power behind such nobleness.
I raised my face and looked at her face, which was looking down the earth, could feel the trembling and twitching of muscles in her face trying to stop the outburst of whimper.
She in her masked voice,although trying to conceal her emotions, said ' Devi, fifteen years passed since she left me'
I kept quiet looking at her, giving her time to recuperate and compose herself.
She started talking after a few minutes ' She became a Nun in a convent, looking after the orphans, I gave her love enough more than a mother could give, but she felt more alienated owing to her thinking that she had been left behind by her mother. She loved me more equally she moved away and became concerned about her mother's leaving her behind. And she developed the attitude of a mother to the orphans always ever since she was a child.'
Doctor continued' I wanted to make her a nurse which would have been more suitable for her nature towards the orphans and old alike, but she wanted and became a nun............. so.' she stopped awhile.
I looked down on the floor near her a few drops of tears turning into brown , may be the color of the floor showing the back ground of the floor or the love of tears becoming so ....... I don't know.
No wings of compassion can bring back Rose to the Doctor auntie, although I know Auntie expecting her any moment like a child expecting her mother.
I sat before her for a long time visualizing my friend in the robe of a nun, attending orphanage works and praying . That beautifully complexioned Rose , covered her body completely from her head to foot and showing only the face like a rose at the altar of God.
Here there is a child of 85 yrs old waiting for her mother to return.
Heart knows how to adjust to human emotions, now I could feel in her wrist heart rate is normal.
More than individuals heart knows how to adapt to a situation.When goes beyond , it s l o w s down................

No comments: