Monday, March 22, 2010

Hereditary Property - A Story

She is sitting in the Verandah of the Government Hospital ,discharged a few hours ago ,with a baby of three days old, for she was admitted herself in that Hospital one week back.The baby was kept in an old saree of her ,only tiny hands and legs were visible.She looked at the face of the child ,he opened the eyes and the lips , while looking at , seemed like smiling at her.She got courage from the new born face.The sort of courage she got seemed to have come to her owing to being a mother.Motherhood gives courage indescribable to any mother although many a time such young mothers when came into Hospital for delivery are afraid , especially the mother of her category.No one to look after her.

She looked again the face of the child which has no resemblance of her face, may be so because the child is a boy.
She did not have the strength of going out , could not shout and call an Auto-rikcha.
She looked around and saw an Aayah, who is scavenger in the Hospital whose face became familiar to her during this one week, was coming in her direction.
She called her 'Amma, could you do me a help?'
'What?' the scavenger asked in return.
'Would you please call an Auto for me , so that I can go home'
The scavenger knew no body came with her while admitting her in Hospital and she was alone and now sitting alone with the baby.She out of her experience could perceive what kind of pregnancy this must be , if no male comes , she knows what is the status of the baby.She felt something churning inside her since she is also a woman who certainly knows what would be plight of this girls .
Without answering she went out and brought an Auto.
When helping her go to the Auto , the lady carried the cloth bag containing some old clothes and a flask.Then she said to the Auto driver ' please be careful son,she is new mother, weak, take care while travelling and drop her in her house'
'Don't worry mother , I will take care the sister and drop her wherever she goes'
Then the scavenger started murmuring something partly heard partly unheard ' When these kind of things will stop, one is suffering and one responsible for this never bothers even to come to the hospital.......... when this all stop......... poor ladies.... no one in home .' and went back into the Hospital.
Auto driver turned back and asked 'Sister, where you want to go ?'
On hearing the place she wanted to go , he started driving and simultaneously talking to her .
All the way he was talking facing the road and she could hear only the voice.
' Sister, don't worry , I was also born like this in a Government Hospital 20 years back and my mother brought me up. Now I am an auto driver before you.I understand the plight of your mind and what you think about.. My mother was working I heard her say, in a big bungalow and she was a helper and cleaner in the house.Even I know my father who he is.But I dont have the right of any, since my mother accepted him owing to her age at that time.And you know I am the end result now as an Auto driver.You must know I am fortunate that my mother did not decide to end my life then , so I am a bastard now. It is ok sister, this is my fate..
One funny think , I may be wrong to say this to you , although I know right now 90% what is your status now, well funny thing is , my father , that big fellow with all the riches,came to see my mother in the hospital and inserted a ten rupee note under the pillow of my mother and walked away. That was the last time she had seen him , she worked in various houses and brought me up...........'
While he is talking I looked at the baby , trying to find any resemblance of the Watchman of the house she is employed 'Dhamu'......... may be, but will be visible only when this boy grows up.Again I started concentrating on the talk of the Auto driver.
'Sister , that thankless fellow, my father you know is a big land lord , despite that he did not help my mother financially ever.Very hard ways we lived, she is a tireless worker , still working in houses, cleaning the vessels, house etc . My income by driving this Auto is not enough since I drive this Auto , not my own'
Meanwhile while listening the story , my mind went to compare myself with the mother of this Auto driver.
' His hereditary property is ten rupees , may be not even that for me, Dhamu is living with his wife and children, already poor. So I must start working as soon as possible to work . I must tell my fellow girls to find some job, house job of cleaning etc, so I can take the baby along with me to my working place and make him grow into a youth.Somehow motherhood gives courage to fight against.I dont know, but I think it is natural for all women.'
My hereditary property is poverty , Auto driver's is ten rupees, for my son not even ten rupees.

No comments: